Monday, October 15, 2012

Nourishing my wounded spirit



I have found that doing something for others is incredibly healing, especially if I'm doing it in my daughter's memory.

A few years ago, family and friends gathered with me to volunteer at Feed My Starving Children - an event we created during the holidays in Isabelle's memory. We packed meals for two hours and learned about individuals who have a whole lot less than we do.

Since then I've volunteered as an elf at a children's home, organized collections of coats, toys and electronics, and routinely serve meals at a homeless shelter. I do this because volunteering nourishes my wounded spirit. Even when I'm grieving I have something to give, and that very well could be exactly what someone else needs.

If you've never volunteered and aren't sure of a good place to start, check out the options available when you enter your zip code at Volunteer Match.

No comments:

Post a Comment